Have you ever published a blog post? Like me, there are millions of book bloggers and reviewers. However, after submitting a review, you get a complaint from the author that you have tons of spelling and punctuation mistakes. You would feel terrible. Right?
Hence it is crucial to use a tool to find the grammatical inaccuracies in articles so that your writing can be error-free.
Grammarly is a comprehensive writing assistant for students, professionals, and users whose primary language is not English. It assists us in eliminating standard grammar and punctuation errors. Grammarly is not a replacement for human proofreaders but is an excellent tool to polish our English writing.
My rating of Grammarly: 9/10
So, let us have a glimpse at whatever Grammarly has to offer us. Grammarly is probably the world’s most popular revolutionary tool that helps you to write faster without having to worry about errors. It checks grammar, spelling, punctuation, and plagiarism online.
Now, is Grammarly worth the cost? Here is a detailed review of Grammarly in 2021. After that, we will see if Grammarly is reliable by testing ourselves.
What is Grammarly?
Grammarly is an online writing companion that corrects spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity, engagement, and delivery mistakes. It uses artificial intelligence to recognize and search for an appropriate replacement for the error. It also allows users to customize their style, tone, and context-specific language. Launched in 2009 by Alex Shevchenko, Max Lytvyn, and Dmytro Lider, Grammarly has continued its mission to help writers, bloggers, students, and academic teachers write better and correct English.
It has a free chrome extension for the browser and checks for grammatical errors when writing any blog, status updates, emails.
What are the best features of Grammarly? First, let us have an overview.
- Checks and corrects over 250 grammatical inaccuracies
- Identifies contextual spelling errors, and in-built comma splice checker corrects the placement of commas
- Rectifies faulty vocabulary usage and suggests synonyms
- Advanced proofreader identifies wordy sentences and passive voice
- Instantly corrects the mistakes while writing on online platforms like Linkedin, Messenger, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Emails, and many more
- A free browser extension is available
- Inbuilt plagiarism checker recognizes and displays plagiarized or duplicate content percentage on the document
- Checks the content based on what document template one selects
- Helps to create a professional resume
Who should use Grammarly?
Apart from being a grammar checker tool, Grammarly acts as a writing guide, duplicate content detector, and personal proofreader.
- Writers and bloggers
- Publishers/authors who cannot afford a human proofreader
- Affiliate marketers
- Teachers, librarians who need to check student assignments for plagiarism
- Students who flare to write better English and get better grades with conventional papers and better-punctuated assignments
- Job aspirants who want to create a professional resume
Procedures to use Grammarly
There are five ways one can use Grammarly:
- Grammarly Web
- Grammarly for Windows
- Grammarly Browser Extension
- Grammarly for Microsoft Word and Outlook
- On Smartphones
Other platforms where Grammarly can be used:
1. Grammarly Web Tool: To use the web version, Sign up for a Grammarly account by clicking here. A workspace will appear like the image below. You can start writing directly or paste any text. After checking the text, you can save your document by renaming it.
By clicking on ‘My Grammarly,’ you will visit your dashboard, where all your saved documents exist. One can download the files as Microsoft Word Document (.docx) in the download folder.
2. Grammarly for Windows: Grammarly can be downloaded on both Windows and macOS. To use the desktop version, download the app here for your preferred system, follow the instructions for installation, and utilize the tool in the same way as the web version.
3. Grammarly Browser Extension:
This extension is available on four browsers- Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. You can visit here to choose your preferred browser and install it following the instructions.
I use Microsoft Edge. To install the extension for Edge, click here and add the extension. Grammarly will get activated for Edge. Now, you can write on any online platform, and Grammarly will correct the mistakes.
4. Grammarly for Microsoft Word and Outlook: Grammarly add-in can be used directly within Microsoft Word. However, an internet connection is required while using Grammarly in Word. To use it, visit this page. Grammarly Installer will be download to your Download folder. Follow the set-up instructions. In Microsoft Word, an ‘Enable Grammarly’ button will appear. Click on it to activate Grammarly in word and start writing.
5. On Smartphones: Grammarly also has a keyboard that is available for both Android and iOS devices. You can visit here to scan the QR code with your phone to install the Grammarly Keyboard. Alternatively, you can get it through AppStore or Google Play. Once activated, the app will monitor your writing as you compose an email or text message or a comment.
How much will Grammarly cost?
Grammarly can be used for an individual or a team. The free version is for individuals. The free version has no restrictions, and one can use it indefinitely without any trial period.
- Monthly Plan- $30.00 / month
- Quarterly Plan- $20.00 / month (Billed as one payment of $60.00)
- Annual Plan- $12.00 / month (Billed as one payment of $144.00)
Grammarly Business Plan is available for a minimum three-member team that will cost $12.5 /month/member (Billed annually). Grammarly Business Plan has all the features of Grammarly Premium with an additional admin panel, statistics, and monitoring tools.
Grammarly Free Version:
The free version of Grammarly identifies the basic mistakes and corrects them. The following aid offered by Grammarly Free version:
- Spelling mistakes
- Corrects Verb
- Corrects Preposition:
- Punctuation mistakes:
- The version of English you want to write in:
Grammarly Premium Version:
Grammarly Premium includes all the features available in Free Version. In addition, it will suggest the following detailed information about each grammatical mistake:
- Writing discrepancies
- Overuse of the words
- Improper tone
- Unclear statements
- The preferred word according to the context
My Review of Grammarly Premium
The most striking feature of Grammarly Premium is that it helps me set goals according to the type of writing I want to produce. This personalized feature has helped me a lot in elevating my writing. When a new document is opened a set of goals appear on the screen. One can pick their preferred goals according to their content. The following set of writing goals that appear on the screen are:
Adjusting these goals helps because Grammarly determines which words it will prefer or overlook. How these goals are used:
- Audience: There are three types of delivery of the content- General, Knowledgeable, and Expert. For example, if one chooses an expert audience, Grammarly will suggest not to use personal pronouns.
- Formality: There are Formal, Neutral, and Informal writing. For example, neutral writing allows standard casual expressions but restricts slang.
- Domain: This determines which type of document one is producing like- Academic, Business, General, Email, Casual or Creative. I generally use the creative domain while writing my reviews.
- Tone: It decides the style of the passage like- Neutral, Confident, Joyful, Optimistic, Friendly, Urgent, Analytical, or Respectful.
- Intent: The choices of Inform, Describe, Convince or Tell a story will set up your narrative in the way you desire.
Although personalized suggestions are not always accurate, they surely will upgrade your writing skill. I have not used any other grammar checking apps apart from Grammarly. However, till now Grammarly has not disappointed me. I have gained quite a confidence in writing after using Grammarly.
Another essential point to remember is that Grammarly cannot replace a human proofreader. Therefore, when you are using Grammarly, pay attention and review the suggestions it provides.
Is Grammarly Premium worth the price?
Yes, it is worth it. If you are a professional reviewer or a blogger or a writer, I would recommend Grammarly Premium because it will provide you a clear suggestion of each sentence or word and even help you detect plagiarism. You will improve your style of writing as you gradually notice your mistakes.
Grammarly Premium picks up a lot of grammatical errors and sentence constructions compared to the free version. Hence, it is a valuable tool to enhance and outshine your written English.
In a nutshell, if you want to improve your writing and proceed with it sincerely, Grammarly Premium is worth it.
Thank you for reading my Grammarly review. If you find it helpful, do leave a comment.